Collect the Documents Needed to Transfer

For information provided by the United States Department of State, please visit Your 5 Steps to U.S. Study


Transfer applicants with one year or less of college/university level course work must submit secondary school (high school) records and any SAT/ACT test scores.

Transfer student applicants must submit official transcripts and/or marksheets from all colleges attended, U.S. and abroad.  Be sure any foreign credentials are evaluated prior to submitting them with your application. Please note that Transfer 101 does not endorse any of these evaluators.

Links to evaluators in Texas:


You may need to demonstrate English language proficiency.  Request official TOEFL test scores or IELTS test scores to be sent as it is required of all international student applicants from non-native English speaking countries. Check with the university for the minimum acceptable score.

The United States requires international students to obtain a student visa. Before you can apply for a student visa, you must first apply and be accepted by a U.S. institution of higher education that is certified by the Student Exchange and Visitor Program (SEVP).

Once accepted at an SEVP-certified school, you will receive a Form I-20 from the institution’s international student office to present when you apply for your student visa. Information regarding the steps necessary to apply for your student visa can be found on the U.S. Department of State’s website.

After you have collected all these documents, stay organized by putting them in an expanding file or folder.


The more time you take to get organized now, the more prepared you will be for your university experience.